BOY SCOUTS SCUBA MERIT BADGE PROGRAM
Boy Scout Scuba Merit Badge Program
Scuba Merit Badge Requirements:
1. Do the following:
a. Review first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while scuba diving, including hypothermia, hyperventilation, squeezes, fatigue, overexertion, injuries by aquatic life, motion sickness, nitrogen narcosis, and decompression illness.
b. Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person, and explain how to recognize such conditions. Demonstrate the proper technique for performing CPR using a training device approved by your counselor.
2. Before completing requirements 3 through 6, earn the Swimming merit badge.
3. Discuss the Scuba Diver's Code with your merit badge counselor, and explain the importance of each guideline to a scuba diver's safety. Completed during the Scuba Diver class.
4. Earn a PADI Open Water Diver Certification.
5. Explain what an ecosystem is, and describe four aquatic ecosystems a diver might experience. To be researched by the scout and discussed with the MB counselor.
6. Find out about three career opportunities in the scuba industry. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you. To be researched by the scout and discussed with the MB counselor.
All the requirements, Other than items #2 and #4 above, can be found in the BSA Scuba Diving merit badge booklet, available from local BSA Council stores.
Seattle Scuba Schools can help your scout group fulfill all the requirements for the new Scuba Merit Badge anywhere in the Puget Sound area. Please contact us, we would be happy to come give a presentation at your next troop meeting!